Grenada could soon have it's
first edition of Steelband competition for Minor Categories.
Pan Pioneers Production, has invited Steel Orchestras in
Grenada to participate in the first ever Grenada Steelpan
Music Festival - Minor Categories 2008 which is scheduled
for April 2008.
The Grenada Steelpan Music Festival Minor Categories
Championships are a series of Steel Pan competitions that
consist of the following categories:
• Soloist. An un-accompanied performance on any Steelpan.
• Duet. Two pannists rendering a piece together.
• Quartet. Four persons rendering a piece together on
Steelpans or Steelpans and drums.
• Ensemble. Fifteen persons rendering a piece together on
Steelpans & Percussion.
Pan Pioneers say that the objectives of the competition are:
• To create an alternative avenue of musical expression for
Pannists and Steel Orchestras in Grenada.
• To serve as a qualifying method for representatives from
Grenada to take part in the equivalent competitions of the
World Steelband Festival (WSF).
• To offer Pannists an opportunity to further study the
instrument while being rewarded and recognized.
• Improving the quality of performance of the other units of
the Steelband outside of the “Panorama Band”.
Winners of the various categories will receive cash prizes,
trophies and medals as well as an appearance fee for
finalists not placing in the top three.
For more information and rules on the Grenada Steelpan Music
Festival - Minor Categories 2008, please
Related Articles: Click
More On Steelpan In Grenada
Read other views and leave your opinion in the