Terrance started playing the steelpan at the age of seven with La Brea Nightingales Steel Orchestra, which was founded by his mother. He never stopped playing the instrument, making it his livelihood. He has excelled from proficiency to an exponent in the art of playing the steelpan. Today, Terrance “BJ” Marcelle is one of the more versatile steelband Arrangers on the steelband global circuit.
“BJ’s” baptism in arranging was at his alma mater, Point Fortin Junior Secondary School, where the opportunity was handed to him to do musical pieces for the school’s steelband. And when La Brea Nightingales folded, he left La Brea and migrated to his mother’s hometown, St John Road, St Augustine where he joined the Flamingoes Steel Orchestra. He spent two years with that steelband. Subsequently, “BJ” joined and shared the leadership of Exodus Steel Orchestra under deceased Amin Mohammed, the founder of that steelband. His opportunities and experience in that steel orchestra impacted greatly on him and he never looked back.
Terrance “BJ” Marcelle has played and arranged for a large number of steel orchestras throughout Trinidad and Tobago, British Virgin Islands, Canada and the United States of America. He was contracted by the government of Tortola, British Virgin Islands where his responsibilities included, inter alia, teaching the children to play the steelpan and to encourage steelband performances in that island.
He has arranged Panorama pieces for steel orchestras which include Flamingoes, Couva Joylanders, Melodians, Arima All Stars, Potential Symphony, La Brea Nightingales, Nu Tones, Trinidad and Tobago Defence Force Steel Orchestra, Trinidad and Tobago Fire Services Steel Orchestra, D’Radoes (USA), Steel Xplosion (Tobago), Power Stars and Arima Golden Symphony Steel Orchestra.
Some of his achievements include:
- D’Radoes (USA) - 1st place –New York Panorama – (2014, 2015, 2016, 2019)
- Arima All Stars- five (5) times Panorama Single Pan Band Champs (1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 & 2005)
- D’Radoes (USA) - 3rd place –New York Panorama –(2011, 2012 & 2013)
- Trinidad & Tobago Defence Force- 3rd place – 2008, 2nd place- 2009 & 2011 National Panorama Competitions Single pan Category
- Trinidad & Tobago Fire Services – 3rd place – 2012 , 2013 & 2014 National Panorama Competitions Single pan Category
- Arima Golden Symphony Steel Orchestra - Five (5) consecutive times- Small Conventional Steelband Panorama Champs- (2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 & 2013)
- La Brea Nightingales – Finalist 2014 National Panorama Competition - Large Conventional Category